Friday, December 14, 2007

2008 Draft

A topic on Armando's blog has everyone speculating on the Dolphins' plans for next year's draft. Let's face it, this is what we have to look forward to, and there are already a ton of suggestions -- some valid, some space-cadet.

Armando suggests, given Miami's decade-long string of bad luck in replacing Marino, the Phins have to get quarterbacks in the draft, like, first-round pick. This got me thinking. Everyone has us pinned to take Glen Dorsey, the d-tackle out of LSU, and that sounds great. We need help at the position, but I'm a little leery of taking a DT at pick one. Sounds silly in my book. 

So just how nuts would it be to take a QB in the first round? Well, first off, if management says to Hell with Beck and goes QB at pick one, they'd be making the single dumbest and most laughable move a team could make. The thought of Brohm, Ryan or Brennan with pick one makes me nervous due to the fact that it's so silly I could see Miami doing it. Most agree, though, that the aforementioned QBs aren't top-five worthy. 

Others say Darren McFadden, and being the college football dummy that I am, I figured he was a back capable of lining up in the slot -- for a lack of a better comparison, a Reggie Bush type. On the contrary, he's a horse. (I realize I'm not exactly pulling a Mel Kiper here. I'll never pretend to know the college game, but I'm simply stating my embarrassingly weak, first-grade knowledge of college prospects. Got it, sweet Charlie?) It's an enticing scenario, but no. Running back is taken care of.

Which brings me to this: If there is anything to indicate that Dorsey or Long or who-the-hell-ever is NOT a 10+ year veteran candidate, trade down. McFadden will be a nice bargaining chip for the Phins, and given Adrian Peterson's overwhelming success this season, I think most teams with a need at running back will spark some trade talks. 

From there, sure, if a quarterback is available, I wouldn't be upset with drafting another. With that said, there are so many other needs to address -- offensive and defensive lines, wideouts, corners and safeties -- that "fixing" this team with one draft class is damn near impossible.


No comments: