Saturday, August 11, 2007

Phins Win Preseason Opener; Fans Lose Common Sense

Late last night, I read this recap of Saturday's exhibition win over the Jags and, after reading the first few sentences, I figured I'd wait until today to post my thoughts. First, Trent Green sucked something fierce, and my initial reaction was to agree with those Miami fans who booed him off the field at halftime. Sure, we're all sick of the hype and inflated expectations that come as soon as camp opens, but c'mon.

I don't want to read too much into Green's first outing because this is, after all, a preseason game. Analyze this all you want, but I'll give the guy at least a few more tries of regular season action to prove that Cam didn't make one hell of a mistake. What should we expect, really?

There seems to be an overwhelming feeling of dread amongst the legion of Dolphins fans, who after one half of an exhibition game are forecasting a five-win season and anxiously awaiting for John Beck. I'm pretty cynical, but not that cynical. I'll give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt and believe Trent Green to be the most optimal choice at quarterback. In the long line of ass-clowns this team has employed, Green is a clear improvement. Give the guy a break.

Now, about the offense in general. I'm looking through the drive-by-drive charts, and it looks like the same old Dolphins -- punt, punt, punt, punt, fumble, interception on our first six possessions. Yes, Green sure contributed with a number of misfires, but word has it our o-line looked putrid, which only added to Ronnie Brown's inability to run six feet. I do know this: 267 yards of total offense doesn't help our chances, and most certainly doesn't quell any feelings of doubt pertaining to the supposed "improved" offense. (This is only preseason. This is only preseason. This is only preseason. OK, Lou? Move on.)

What else? Since I didn't actually see the game, I'm taking what I can from the box scores and the like.

Bright spots: Jesse Chatman, who is mentioned quite frequently in the Sun-Sentinel's camp updates for his quickness and overall impressive play, had a 74-yard TD run and finished up with 88 yards on six carries. Other than that, Derek Hagan's 47 yards receiving? (Reaching), Jason Allen's 4 tackles? (Reaching a lot), Brandon Fields' seven "sky-scraping punts"? (I'm losing feeling in my arm).

Next up is Green's return to KC on Thursday, which should make for some nice pre-game drama.

No comments: