Friday, August 10, 2007

Back in the Saddle

It's been a hectic couple of weeks for this guy, and I haven't had a ton of time to read through the countless Dolphin posts in my Bloglines reader. In fact, I'm just getting around to them. I have to hand it to the Herald and Sun-Sentinel reporters who offer up tons of information that would otherwise be nixed from the daily. Kudos, boys.

First up, from today's camp update, Jason Allen appears to still be struggling finding his niche with the team. This is discouraging on a number of levels. The obvious being his inability to impress even in the slightest. As you know, our secondary is starving for somebody...anybody to compete at the safety and cornerback positions. More so at safety, but whatever. With that said...

"It appears Michael Lehan has locked down that nickel spot, holding off Jason Allen. I've honestly tried to evaluate Allen without attaching his first round pick status, and to be fair he doesn't get beat as much as guys like Mitchell. But he is usually invisible. I'm starting to wonder if he'd have been better off staying at safety. Wasn't he moved to cornerback so he could break into the nickel package, starting to contribute on a regular basis? I'm sensing the most important role he might have in 2007 is as a flyer on the special teams unit."
Allen can't compete at the nickel spot. The number three corner. Behind the likes of Will Allen and looks-OK-for-being-young Travis Daniels. Allen is losing his job to Michael Lehan. No disrespect to Lehan, but he...well...he's Michael Lehan. Think hard about this: First. Round. Pick. Jason. Allen. Isn't. Good. Enough. To. Be. The. Team's. Third. Corner. Excuse me while I bite the curb.

In more uplifting news, it seems Ted Ginn is in on a lot of action, whether it be in the return game or running routes. This is good, friends. This is nice.

The first depth chart is out. Couple things: First, as Armando points out, the offensive line will go through a number of changes and switch-arounds over the next few weeks so I'll take o-line news with a grain of salt. Next, Hey! PK Sam! Every year this guy's in the hunt. I forgot all about it until I saw him in an NFL Europe game on TV this past year. I admire his determination. Maybe that's why I like him so much. That or I just enjoy his little-kid name. "Hey, PK Sam! Check out my new Super Soaker!" Lastly, and excuse my redundancy, but look at that friggin' secondary. Yack!

More on David Sutton. All that talk of former volleyball player this and former baseball player that and (thankfully) not one mention of Antonio Gates.

Also, I had a slight spell of dumbass in one of my previous posts that claimed James Lofton's son -- whatever his first name is -- to be a receiver. He is, in fact, a corner and no longer employed by the Dolphins.

I'll be back this weekend for a recap of Saturday's pre-season opener. Enjoy it, gorgeous.

No comments: